It’s no longer news that Cannabidiol or CBD has several health benefits. But it’s a bit challenging to know the correct dosage to take. In case you don’t know, CBD is one of the several ingredients of the cannabis plants. And it’s available in different forms including; oil tablets, and creams. And the dosage of CBD you are taking primarily depends on its form and usage.
Let me quickly clarify something about Cannabidiol. It is not psychoactive, that means it won’t make you high; instead it has the following benefits;
- It reduces anxiety and depression
- It reduces seizures in people with epilepsy
- CBD improves sleep
- It helps to improve your heart health
- It soothes pains and inflammation
- Also, it helps to improve the symptoms of inflammatory bowel diseases;
As heartwarming the benefits of CBD are, you need to take the right dosage. Otherwise, it might not work for the condition you are trying to treat.
Even though the CBD market is growing rapidly, there’s still confusion regarding its usage, safety, and effectiveness. Don’t get me wrong, CBD products are legal, and their legal status varies among states.
However, the Food and Drugs Administration (FDA) doesn’t regulate most CBD products. That’s why the quality, amount to take per dose, and safety of the products vary.
Uses and Dosage
For the avoidance of doubt, the FDA has approved only one Cannabis-derived product – Epidiolex. And it’s available by prescription. Again, Epidiolex approval is strictly for the treatment of seizures in people who are suffering from two severe forms of epilepsy called Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome and Dravet syndrome.
The dosage of Epidiolex (a form of CBD oil) is as follows;
- The starting dosage of Epidiolex is 2.5 milligrams per body weight in kg/mg twice a day. This amounts to a total dosage of 5mg/kg each day.
- After using it for one week, you can increase the dosage to 5mg/kg twice a day; this will amount to 10 mg/kg per day.
However, there are currently no official guidelines for other products that contain CBD because the FDA doesn’t regulate them. So, the right thing to do is to speak with your doctor about dosage before using any CBD products. Click here for more benefit of Cannabidiol, CBD.
Again, the method of administering Cannabidiol products can also determine the dosage you take. Generally, here are the ways of administering CBD products;
- CBD oil solutions
- CBD capsules,
- Nasal spray
- Tablets that patients place under the tongue (Sublingual)
However, there is a broader range of cannabidiol products available recently. Some of these products are food products, dietary supplements, cosmetics, and animal health products. Learn more about uses and dosage at https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/cannabidiol-cbd-what-we-know-and-what-we-dont-2018082414476
In a nutshell, the dosage of CBD product you take depends on the condition you are using it to treat and the method of administration. Below are common conditions CBD products treat and their dosage;
- Anxiety: The CBD treatment dosage for anxiety is to take 300 to 600 mg in oral form.
- Bowel Disease: You can use cannabidiol product in a sublingual form (olive oil drops) 5mg twice daily to treat bowel disease.
- Type 2 Diabetes: Take 100 mg twice daily in oral form to treat type 2 diabetes.
- Pain Due to Cancer: Take 60 -600 Mg per day in oral form to treat pain due to cancer.
- Parkinson’s Disease: Take 75 to 300 mg per day in oral form to treat Parkinson’s disease.
- Huntington’s Disease: Take up to 12 sprays per day to cure Huntington’s disease.